Monday, June 14, 2004

God save the Honorable Court



So, the U.S. Supreme Court decided the Pleage of Allegiance case by refusing to exercise its "prudential jurisdication." Very interesting read, and I found myself agreeing with Rehnquist as to his Part I. I find O'Connor's concurrence most reasonable, but I would have come out declaring the pledge unconstitutional using her approach. Thomas's approach is very creative, unique and radical, and even at time pursuasive, but the conclusion of his approach is that the Establishment Clause convey no interest of individual liberty is way too radical for my taste. Scalia didn't participate, but Scalia's fingerprints appear to be everywhere in Thomas's concuring opinion.

We'll wait for Round 2, which looks there will be at least 4 votes for upholding the Pledge. Not a good sign for atheists and religious people who think about these things seriously.

Ever considered pledgng allegiance to an inanimate object (namely, the Flag of the United States of America) a form of idol-worship?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home